Braided Cinnamon Buns
- cal. (kcal) 412
- Makes: 12 servings
- Yield: 12 buns
- Prep: 25 mins
- Rise: 2 hrs
- Bake: 20 mins at 350°F
(1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
pkg (.25 oz) active dry yeast
warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees )
plus 2/3 cup granulated sugar
large egg plus 1 egg yolk, white reserved
ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
packed dark brown sugar
Brown Sugar Glaze (optional)
- Combine buttermilk and 6 tbsp butter in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low until butter melts. Cool to 110 degrees .
- In a small bowl, sprinkle yeast over 2 tbsp warm water and 1 tsp granulated sugar. Let stand 5 minutes, until foamy.
- When buttermilk mixture reaches 110 degrees , stir in yeast mixture. In a stand mixer, combine egg, egg yolk, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and the salt. Beat on medium speed until blended. Beat in yeast mixture, followed by flour. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 5 minutes, adding more flour if dough is very sticky.
- Oil a large bowl and add dough, turning to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees . Punch down dough and divide into thirds. In a medium bowl, mix 6 tbsp butter, 1/3 cup granulated sugar, 3 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbsp warm water and the brown sugar until smooth.
- Cut one piece of dough in half. With your hands, roll into a long rope. Lay on work surface and, with a rolling pin, roll out to an 18 x 4-inch rectangle. Spread with 2 tbsp filling and sprinkle with cinnamon. Cut in half crosswise to create two 9 x 4-inch pieces. Starting from a long side, roll up to enclose filling and pinch seam shut. With a sharp knife, cut through dough lengthwise, leaving one end attached (see Note, below). Twist dough over itself to resemble a braid, pinching end together. Roll dough on itself and tuck end under. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Brush buns with egg white and sprinkle with 1 tsp granulated sugar. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Brush with Brown Sugar Glaze, if using.
Brown Sugar Glaze
- Combine 1/4 cup each packed dark brown sugar and granulated sugar in a saucepan with 3 tbsp water and 1 tbsp unsalted butter. Heat over medium until glaze is smooth. Brush over buns.
- Once you've rolled up dough to enclose filling, cut through with a sharp knife, leaving one end attached.
- Twist dough over itself to resemble a braided rope. Tightly pinch end together so pieces don't separate while baking.
- Wet your hands with a little water to make working with dough a lot easier. Starting at attached end, roll up braid onto itself, like the shell of a snail. Tuck end under center of roll and place on pan.
Nutrition Information for Braided Cinnamon BunsServings Per Recipe: 12
PER SERVING: 412 cal., 14 g total fat (9 g sat. fat), 138 mg sodium, 64 g carb. (2 g fiber, 28 g sugars), 7 g pro.