- cal. (kcal) 178
- Yield: 20 cookies
- Prep: 10 mins
- Refrigerate: 2 hrs
- Bake: 12 mins at 350°F
(1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
large egg plus 1 large egg yolk
Sparkling sugar, silver dragees and other decorations
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter, sugar, egg, egg yolk and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Stir in flour mixture. Gather into a ball; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees . Roll out dough with a lightly floured rolling pin on a floured surface to 3/8-inch thickness. Cut with assorted-size snowflake cookie cutters. Place on ungreased baking sheets, 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until just browned at edges. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Spread some of the cookies with thinned Royal Icing; let dry. Pipe designs onto cookies with thicker icing; sprinkle with sugar or top with silver dragees. Let icing dry 1 hour before stacking cookies.
- Recipe courtesy of Healthclothing's, Julie Miltenberger, Executive Food Editor 20+ years working in the magazine test kitchen; avid baker; contributor to four Healthclothing cookbooks
- "When cutting out cookies, tightly fit shapes together, almost like a puzzle, so there won't be as many scraps to re-roll."