My Favorite Chicken Soup
- 1 of 2 Place chicken, breast side up, in a large Dutch oven. Add remaining ingredients, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 1 hour or until chicken is, as my mother would say, "falling to pieces."
- 2 of 2 Let chicken cool in broth for 30 minutes. Transfer chicken to a rimmed plate. Pluck out thyme, bay leaves, celery, carrot and onion (but feel free to leave the garlic), and pour the beany broth into a bowl.
- 1 of 3 Wipe Dutch oven dry, add oil and heat over medium. Add onion and 1 tsp salt and sweat for 5 minutes. Add beany broth, potatoes and cheese rind to pot. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 20 minutes. Meanwhile, pick meat off chicken and roughly chop kale into spoon-friendly pieces.
- 2 of 3 After 20 minutes, add chicken, kale, sugar, black pepper and 1 tsp salt. Cook 20 minutes more. The goal is for the beans and potatoes to break down and make the broth rich, almost creamy.
- 3 of 3 Remove cheese rind. Add salt to taste and serve with a dollop of pesto, if using.
Servings Per Recipe: 10
Per Serving: 34 g pro., 8 g sugar, 522 mg sodium, 2 g sat. fat, 7 g Fat, total, 11 g fiber, 41 g carb., 353 kcal cal.